Wednesday, August 3, 2011

All About Sallyanna Scarves on www.madeit.com.au

Today I'm happy to be able to talk about someone else's passion, and that is Sally Anna of Sally Anna Scarves, who has kindly agreed to answer my questions about how she goes about designing and making her beautiful scarves.  Find Sally Anna's scarves on Etsy, as follows:

 
The gorgeous green scarf on the left is one of my favourites and I love the little knitted wrap complete with a pretty feminine bow in the pic below.
  
Sally Anna tells me that she uses her own designs and  patterns, something she has done since she was quite young.  She says "I do have the occasional piece that doesn't work but the great thing about knitting is I can unravel it and start again.  I use my children, husband and friends to try hats, jumpers, etc as I knit, so I can modify as I go.  I used to first design on paper but now I just like to start with an idea and start knitting.

One of the reasons I love making scarves and shawls is because it is a beautiful way of showing off the yarn and the wearer.  I'm inspired by the wonderful variety of fabulous yarns. I have knitted out of wool and most natural fibres, cotton, bamboo, ribbon, silk, recycled silk saris, recycled banana fibres, milk protein, a huge range of manmade fibres and many more.  The variety of texture (which I Iove ) and colour is just amazing.

 If I find a particularly beautiful yarn, I often knit it up in several different ways with other yarns and colour combinations till I find the next inspiration yarn.  This is why nearly all my pieces are one of a kind.  I am excited to get onto the next model!   
I think of them as wearable art.   I was delighted the other day when someone said every time she wears one of my scarves she feels like she has a beautiful art piece around her neck.
 
Sally Anna, have you thought about trying some felting and what are your thoughts regarding this method of making scarves, shawls etc?  I've noticed quite a few people on Etsy are felting and making really fabulous scarves, shawls, etc.
"I love the look of felted scarves and shawls and it has been on my list of things to do for a long time.  I have knitted and felted many handbags, bowls, hats etc.  and look to do some more in the future.
Sally Anna,  I see you are on Facebook, Madeit and Etsy, have you listed on Facebook's http://www.senseofashion.com/  yet?  If so, what do you think about the site, have you sold anything there as yet? (I recently found out about it myself, it doesn't cost anything to list and is good for exposure, lots of Etsians on there too).




I have been on Etsy since early last year and http://www.madeit.com.au/shop/SallyAnnaScarves this year.  Madeit is much quieter but I like the idea of an Australian store.  Haven’t anything listed on http://www.fashionsense.com/ but am planning to look into it now you have mentioned it! year yand http://www.madeit.com.au/shop/SallyAnnaScarves this year.  Madeit is much quieter but I like the idea of an Australian store.  Haven’t anything listed on http://www.fashionsense.com/ but am planning to look into it now you have mentioned it!

On the left, a Photo of Sally Anna's beautiful Collingwood Football Club scarf!

I asked Sally Anna if she had  thought about creating a themed range and if she would find this a useful marketing tool for her shop?  I asked  if Sally Anna had thought about selling at markets as another avenue for her scarves?
Sally Anna says "the only themed range I have done is designer football scarves.  I have been making upmarket scarves in beautiful yarns and club colours for the footy.   Love watching the footy but hate the attire! 
I have done a couple of markets and probably should do some more. Another good outlet for me is when I am invited to people’s homes where I have an opportunity to get out about 150 pieces!  I also have several pieces in a gallery in Fremantle.   I think galleries are a good outlet for one of a kind pieces."

Two more beautiful scarves from Sally Anna.  I can well understand how people tell her how much they enjoy wearing her pieces of art! 
Sally Anna,  you have had a lot of experience selling your wares, was it hard for you to break into the areas where you sold?  Did you ever despair of your items selling.  Did you have to change anything about your designs in order for them to sell, ie, colours, styles, etc?
"I have sold many different things.  Fabric hats, hand knitted jumpers, homewares and cheesecakes. I have come to the realization I make my best pieces when I am thinking about creating something rather than worrying about sales.  Of course I want sales, and it can often be slow online, so I do worry.  I am still waiting for the millions to come in and my husband is waiting patiently to live surfing in the mornings and helping me run my textile empire in the afternoon. Any day now…."
 Sally Anna, Do you have any tips for anyone else wanting to turn their handmade passion/hobby into a business, be it on Etsy or another selling venue? Tell it like it is (was).  What lights you up and what gets you down? Ok to be honest about this if you feel so inclined.
"I think most of us who make things to sell feel confident one day and not so confident the next.  If you want to sell online then just take the plunge as it is exciting to have an online shop. I nearly threw my back out doing the happy dance for my first sale. Other things can happen from online exposure. One of my scarves was in a magazine last year and the gallery my pieces are in found me on Etsy.
 I have found all “the other stuff” time consuming and sometimes difficult: setting up the shop, taking great photos (constantly trying to improve that), understanding search engines, making a photo into avatar size, setting up a shop page on facebook, marketing and so on.  It was all new to me and I still have so much to learn but it is getting better.
What gets me excited…textiles!  When I look through my stash of yarn and fabric I get just as excited as I did when I bought it!  Sometimes I keep yarn or fabric for quite a while until it tells me what to make it into! 
I also love talking textiles with people.   Have been into highschools to talk about yarn, how to use it and options for selling.  As I sold my first jumper, full of ribbons and beads, to a boutique, I love to show teenagers that they don’t have to wait to start making and selling." 
Who on Madeit is a favourite with you:  Actually, I will  mention that you are selling on Etsy also, so, if possible, name 3  Etsians  whose work you love.
"There are so many beautiful stores on Etsy and Madeit.  Very hard to choose just three but I love the following shops.
Etsy :    Sesanarts, Threads of Gold and A Luscious Thing
Madeit :   DKShopgirl, KathyPanton and Embraced Angel





I've really enjoyed talking to Sally Anna
about how she goes about creating her lovely knitted objects and I hope you have enjoyed reading about her too!
 
You will find my jewelry on Etsy
 
and













2 comments:

  1. Fantastic article - I have long been in awe of the talents of Sally Anna (and have told her so on many occasions).

    Her scarves are beautiful and would have to be considered statement pieces.

    I think they have a wonderful modern/classic look and will long be featured in treasuries on Etsy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou for your article. I am very excited to be considered blog worthy!
    Thanks dkshopgirl also for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete