Friday, August 5, 2011

Artistic Flair

I very much enjoyed talking to Sally Anna about her modus operandi in creating her scarves and other textile pieces.  It seems we artistic people are prompted by the same stimuli to create.

In Sally's case, it is the textile, wool, fibre, etc that she first falls in love with and acquires in order to make something out of it some time in the future.  

I'm exactly the same when I acquire beads, I initially fall in love with the bead, not knowing what I will make with it down the track, then when I take it out to create, the design comes in stages, sometimes I get something made straight away, other times, I have to pair it with other beads or vintage pieces I've acquired along the way before I can make a new creation. 
Like Sally Anna, when I get round to using it in a creation,  I love it as much as when I bought it.  As any Artisan will know, it's a very exciting moment when you see your creation completed.   

Again, I liken my creative endeavours to Sally Anna's, in that in the past,  I have made other stuff such as soap, knitted scarves, embroidered cushions that I've made but jewelry is by far the most absorbing and enjoyable. 

On the right here, I've added a pic of a jewelry collage necklace I made out of a lady's face brooch, such brooches were popular in the eighties.  I was endeavouring to create something different and aiming to give a new life to a no longer piece of vintage jewelry.  I'm not sure I like this piece now, I'm starting to think of remaking it but still use the original brooch. 

Creativity is sometimes hard to come by, it comes and goes, I find, and one has sometimes to put the pieces aside until the creative bug strikes again.  I have sometimes had to choose an entirely different piece of jewelry, bead or finding in order to create something I'm happy with.


1 comment:

  1. so nice to hear someone else is as obsessed with their materials as i am... my heart leaps when new tiles arrive (and fabric ribbon)!

    keep up the great work :-)

    ReplyDelete